Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Whole Food Challenge- Week 1

  I have challenged myself to buy nothing from the grocery store, that has more than 1 ingredient. My exceptions are pasta, soymilk and tortillas. We started last week. So far so good! I cook most things completely from scratch anyway, due to my allergies. We raise all our meat, and we get a huge percentage of our veggies all year, from our garden. We eat fresh veggies in spring and summer, and than I can for the rest of the year. I also buy huge bags of dried beans, prepare them, and than can them. I also make and can stock. I actually canned 21 quarts of stock Christmas afternoon! Yea, I know, I have a problem! So my challenge rules are this

1. I can buy only items that are whole food. With the exception of the before mentioned items.

2. I can use items that are already in the house (such as ketchup, mustard...) but when they are gone, they are gone and I will replace them with a homemade version of that item.

3. This challenge is 60 days.

4. I will blog about the challenge, and be completely honest if I cheat. (sigh)

   So Jeremy and I got groceries. I spent $88.
What I bought:
7 lbs. dried beans
cinnamon
coffee
buttercream
dill weed
tortillas
8 lbs.cabbage
3 lbs.carrots
garlic
milk
soy milk
oats
sugar
peas
6 lbs. pasta
tilapia
6 pkg. yeast
cream
plain yogurt
napkins
meat tenderizer
plus a few more items I can't remember.












No comments:

Post a Comment